January 4, 2021
Friends of Pathways seeks full time Communications & Advocacy Director
The Communications & Advocacy Director will play an important role at Friends of Pathways, building and sustaining FOP’s reputation as the leading voice for human-powered recreation and travel in Jackson and working closely with the Executive Director to ensure a future where Every Neighborhood is Connected to the pathway and trail networks.The Communications & Advocacy Director will: (1) develop public communications and education campaigns that promote FOP initiatives and encourage responsible use of Jackson’s local trails and pathways; (2) engage with political and planning processes relevant to promoting walking and biking in Jackson Hole; and (3) interface with local, state or federal officials to educate and inform about FOP priorities and programs.
Candidates must possess excellent communication skills (written and oral), be willing to represent Friends of Pathways in public and small settings, feel comfortable working with a diverse member base and have a passion for making it easier to move around Jackson Hole without a car.
Bonus qualities include:
• A college degree in planning, public policy, communications or other relevant studies.
• Working knowledge of communication platforms, such as Constant Contact, WordPress, social media sites and other digital and print tools that inform and inspire action.
• Experience as a public advocate and/or engaging in community planning processes through participation on stakeholder groups, elected or volunteer boards, or employed in the non-profit arena.
• Familiarity with federal, state or local mechanisms for building and encouraging pedestrian and biking infrastructure.
• Ability to work independently to achieve program and organizational goals.
This is a full-time, salaried position with health, vacation and retirement benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience. Please submit: a cover letter which includes your salary requirements, a resume and 3 references to email@example.com
Deadline for submission is 5:00 pm January 20, 2021.
Communications & Advocacy Director Job Description
The Communication & Advocacy Director will build and sustain FOP’s reputation as the leading source for ideas and action toward creating a world-class trail and pathway network that promotes sustainable transportation and healthy recreation in Jackson Hole.
COMMUNICATIONS/OUTREACH/EDUCATION (60% of time)
• Create annual Communications Plan and Budget.
• Oversee communication/education campaigns and work with FOP staff to develop talking points relevant to current FOP initiatives and goals.
• Manage a multi-channel communications strategy including social media, press releases, digital newsletters, website and print ads; track engagement across various platforms.
• Work with communication contractors, as needed, to produce FOP creative collateral including Annual Report, Website, video and audio content and other branding assets.
• Develop relationships with local and regional press and create positive press opportunities for Friends of Pathways.
• Assist with the creation of FOP fundraising and promotional materials including thank you cards, annual giving campaigns and other promotional materials.
ADVOCACY OF FOP VISION (40% of time)
Jackson Hole will be a place where trails and pathways are central to our vibrant and healthy community. These networks will be interconnected, convenient, enjoyable and the most
desirable means of travel. Residents and visitors will have the choice to access the natural world, places of business and healthy recreation options without the need for a car.
• Write articles and opinion pieces that inform the public about FOP’s work and encourage action toward FOP’s Vision.
• Serve as a spokesperson for FOP’s Wildly Important Goal – Every Neighborhood Connected to the trail and pathway network.
• Keep apprised of local, state and regional planning efforts that support walking, biking, active transportation and healthy recreation.
• Attend Town and County meetings relevant to FOP issues.
• Collaborate with other organizations and people working to promote healthy recreation and sustainable transportation.